Wednesday, August 06, 2008

august chill

Y'all, it is cold this week. COLD. Like, in the 40s and 50s cold. In August. I still can't wrap my head around it. My head that's bundled in a scarf.

My doctor's appointment was canceled Wednesday morning so I treated myself to The X-Files: I Want to Believe. It was a nice quiet movie. And eh, I miss Mulder and Scully, but dudes. This was so NOT X-Files-y. No aliens, no paranormal anything?! C'mon! It was like I was watching Kiss the Girls or something. Which, while fine in its own right, is not The X-Files. But it was lovely to see my Scully and Mulder and Walter! Skinner!

Tonight after work I went to the Castro Theatre to see Return to Oz, starring a baby Fairuza Balk. Was anyone else traumatized by that film as a child? I was told it (along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) was the first PG-13 movie, but Wikipedia contradicts my source. Either way, those Wheelers are still downright terrifying.

Edited to add: The Castro usually finds genre-appropriate trailers to play before the films they show, so tonight's were "scary" Disney movies, namely, the Escape to Witch Mountain/Return from Witch Mountain/Beyond Witch Mountain trilogy, and Watcher in the Woods. Even the trailer to that movie is horrifying!!!

Two more days of work, then off to Phoenix and New Orleans, where it will no doubt be 3x as hot as it is here. Although, at least with my laundry basket full of cords and sweaters and socks, I don't have to worry about washing clothes before I pack.

Tomorrow the Justice League hits the Castro (well, some of the League. We'll miss you Superman!). Oh yeah, it's date night, San Francisco!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss all of you silly League members too!

dw said...

The first time we saw the movie (there were 8 of us philes that saw it together), Skinner's appearance drew a big cheer from us! :)