Friday, October 21, 2005

Bring it.

Sooo, J.T. is going to kick my arse for blogging about this before he did, but he's going to have to get over it because we've been making this list forever. For your reading pleasure, Grammatical Errors That Really Tick Me Off:

  • irregardless. It's not a word.
  • supposably. Also not a word.
  • the misuse of bring and take. Especially plentiful in people with Bah-ston accents. Ie: "Do you need me to bring you to the store?" Grrrrr.
  • mute point. It's moot. It's a real word. Look it up.
  • the misuse of quotation marks. Last week in Kansas City I saw a sign that said '"Concealed Weapons" Prohibited'. I also saw one that said '"Support Our Troops."' Yes, the entire phrase was in quotation marks. The hell?
  • ya'll. The purpose of the apostrophe is to replace the missing letter(s), people. The conjuction is "you all."
  • The constant misuse of I/me by educated people. "I" is not always the better choice. "I" is a subject and "me" is an object. One should not ever, ever say "she's bringing the reports to you and I." EVER.
  • it's and its... I won't even start.
  • they're/there/their... again. I have no words.

There are many, many more. Post them. And, please, America, remember high school English class. It's important, if for no other reason than so people like me won't think you're an idiot.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I absolutely can't stand to hear someone say "supposably"!!!