Friday, September 04, 2020

what I've got they used to call the blues

I have been ardently trying to only read female authors of color this year. It was a goal of mine before SIP and global pandemic and #blacklivesmatter and the world generally going to shit in a handbasket. (don't @me) I think it's important for me to support these women AND I think it's important because I can learn from them.


I caved this week and got an audio book by a white man, because it sounded breezy (essays) which were largely read by famous actors, and it was free. I listened to the first two on my walk to grab our lunch - a walk I really didn't want to take for oh so many reasons, but forced myself to for another oh so many)... and returned the book when I got home. 


He was smart and funny, sure, but also entitled and a little mean. Of course I don't think that all men are entitled and a little mean anymore than I think all Leos are self-loving angerballs but the correlation was made in my head and I'm going back to reading women.


Our lunch was a disaster. I won't bore you with the details. I tried to salvage what I could by turning it into another salad. I like to think of myself as a problem solver. Don't get me started on day 4 of Whole 30 but for posterity's sake: I'm more bored than hungry, I have a headache, and I'd probably slap a person for a Tito's on the rocks.


Someone posted an article this week about how popular Les Miserables is, and how people who love the musical would hate those exact same headlines. How did "anti-fascism" become left wing? The right should HATE fascists, because "their freedoms!" right? Also... white people loooooove watching anti-fascist stories. Gladiator. Star Wars. Star Trek. Battlestar. Batman. ANY superhero move. Harry frickin' Potter.


Ohhh, right. White people love antifa stories about white people. They even conveniently shortened it to a word that sounds vaguely ethnic and organized and aggressive. Simply stunning.


What am I doing about it, you may ask? Nothing. Sitting at home self-medicating my own depression, and reading female authors of color. 

No comments: