Wednesday, September 24, 2008


I know, I know. Everyone is yelling at me to update. (Ibym... "everyone"... "Alecia and Erin.") So here you go-- what I've been up to for the last almost 3 weeks (and obviously, what I ate along the way).

So, last you heard I was off to Texas. It was sooooo much fun. I landed Friday afternoon, rented a Jeep (well, technically, I rented an "economy," but they gave me a Jeep), and drove up to the new home of Madge and Dave... wow. I clearly am in the wrong business. We met Scotticus, K-J, Ree-an, and Taylor for dinner at Uncle Julios, then met up back at Palais Coblais with Angel for a little Rock Band. The girls did a mean B-52s Roam, btw. I may have missed my calling as a rock star (no, no-- I didn't miss it. There was no calling).

Saturday Madge and I took a walk, got lost, went to Dream Cafe (for my favorite eggs benedict in the world) and the mall, then I drove to over to Forney to meet Bruce. We drove back to Dallas, had drinks at The Grapevine, a slice at Pastazio's, and gelato at Pacuigo (sea salt caramel.... *dies*), then went to meet Erin, Nathan, and Bill at a birthday party of a girl we never met, where everyone was in theme costume but us. Hahahahaha~ It was awesome. There are photos somewhere but I haven't seen them yet-- not sure whose camera they were on?

Sunday Bruce and I drove from Forney to DFW to pick up Sandy at the airport, and then drove BACK to Dallas, to Ozona, she of the famous bloody mary bar, where they bring you a glass of vodka and send you to a buffet of fresh celery, avocado, horseradish, pico, olives, and every sort of spice and hot sauce and mix and juice you can imagine. YUMMMMMM~ Then Sandy and I drove over to the hotel in Grapevine, dropped off our stuff and settled in, and then drove back to Dallas for Ree-ann's birthday party. It was in the Bishop Arts District of Oak Lawn... loved it. The restaurant was called Hattie's and the food was delicious. Way too much driving, but, it was fun.

Monday Sandy and I started work. Yadda yadda elevator contractors blah blah boringcakes. We did manage to eat at Ama Lur in the Gaylord, which is sort of a Latin-Native American-Southwestern fusion place and I had such wonders as cucumber margaritas and jalapeno grit cakes. Other than that I mostly ate quesadillas from the sports bar- hold the meat and add whatever veggies you have in the kitchen- as there was absolutely not one single vegetarian thing in the entire hotel. Blurg! Oh, and our one free night we met up with Erin at Kenzoku for hibachi grill-- which is one of my all-time favorite food experiences. Then my last night, after working until 6pm, needing to do laundry and be up at 3am for a 6am flight-- I managed to squeeze in some time with Amy at Love & War in Texas.

So, after laundry, 3 hours sleep, dropping off the rental car, shuttling to the terminal, grogging my way through security and getting on the plane, I landed at 10:30am in New York City. Cab to hotel, walk to Javitz, start work right away! After work I met Tom in the West Village for Italian at Morandi, then cupcakes at Magnolia, natch, and drinks at Chumley's- one of our favorite spots, which we were just sick to discover had closed, so we went to this divey pool hall instead. I adored spending time with him-- I miss him so much!

Other places I hit while I was there: Schillers, Pastis, the Gansevoort Rooftop Loft (aka the douche-baggiest place this side of The Standard), the Night Hotel, and STK (which bumped Gansevoort right off the top of the list). Friday night I worked late and then met Schmevan for some wine in the park and a late supper at a diner- exactly what I needed after all the pomp and crappenstance. Can I tell you what I don't miss about New York? The weather. The crowds. The clothes. The general elitest attitude. I mean, we paid $90 for 5 drinks at the Gansevoort. NINETY DOLLARS. And the were 8 oz. rocks glasses made out of plastic. And ps> I don't live in Small Town, KY. I live in San Francisco-- widely touted as one of the most expensive cities in America. Ninety dollars for 5 drinks is ridiculous.

Saturday Deb and I had a whole day to play. We wanted to have lunch at Alice's Tea Cup (where I got a Cheshire Cat mug and when you pour in hot liquid, the cat disappears, leaving only his grin! brilliant~) and then we met up with Nathan in the Park, and went to the Museum of Natural History, which YES, is where they filmed that Ben Stiller movie, which I have never seen. Then we got coffee- it was so fun to hang out with him in NY-- I love running into random people in other cities! Then Deb and I scooted downtown for dinner with my friend Joyce at Counter. DELICIOUS. Must go back. My martini involved rosemary-infused vodka. *dies* Then we had a couple of drinks at the Three of Cups and almost passed out in the cab, we were so tired from our very long day.

Sunday we went down to SoHo for brunch at Jerry's, only to be saddened a second time because it had closed. It was something very sad, like another overpriced boutique. We decided instead on the NoHo Star, which I love, and then walked around SoHo and Chinatown, where I got Charlemagne a fun present and Deb bought me an owl apron.

Then, a 6-hour flight home and a fever blister later, I am back in San Francisco, where the weather is always balmy and the people are always in jeans. Monday I walked to the beach, did some work and other stuff around the house, met Blake for a cocktail and my work friends for dinner. Yesterday I did laundry, more work and other stuff around the house, made some soup, watched Fringe (I love you, JJ Abrams!) and went to Harvey's with Brian. Today I must pack, go to the bank, do more work and house stuff, and am planning on dinner and a movie with Blake. The Castro is showing Jezebel, starring Bette Davis, and her Bette Davis eyes.

All in all, a really great couple of weeks. Clearly, I should be posting more often because DAMN, that was long, and I'd be seriously surprised if anyone is still reading at this point. Tomorrow I leave for Long Beach and then straight back for a show here. I am actually off from October 3-10, and then off to Austin for 2 weddings back-to-back, and then pretty much straight to LA.

Tired yet? I am.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about Jerry's...Larry and I used to take the 6am flight the Sunday before Hypertension just so we could have brunch there and spend the day in Soho. He told me it had closed after his last visit. So very sad!!! :(

September 24, 2008 9:59 AM  
Blogger RedCircleLine said...

that was the best post ever! so much information! i love it. and, for the record, i wanted to hassle you to post, as well, but didn't want to bug. I'm glad someone else did! i feel like i just traveled all over texas and new york in five minutes...two places i quite like, in my meagre experience.

September 24, 2008 10:23 AM  
Blogger Work With What You've Got said...

1. Photos of the party are here:


And Here:

2.I'm not going to lie, I spent a minute there thinking "WTH is BRUCE" IDK. I'm thick.


4. What did you eat at Love and War? I've only been there once and I was very "meh" about it.

5.$90 is ridick.

6. I love that a misdirected cyber post hooked you up with Nate. LOVE.

Post More Often. So we don't think you died in a fire.

September 24, 2008 3:06 PM  
Blogger Alecia said...

That was super long - I had to make a cocktail half way through - but I got through it. It was great - love hearing what you are up to. You have so much energy - I got tired just reading it!!

September 25, 2008 8:58 AM  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

It was way better than "I went to San Jose and ate dinner in the hotel bar every night for a week," eh?

September 25, 2008 9:07 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

omg, Your Oakland twitter update made me spit out my coffee this morning. Too funny. And I was born and raised in Oakland and didn't get shot once! ; )

September 26, 2008 1:13 PM  
Anonymous T said...

I am from small town KY so bite me!
ha - wow in Texas and never called guess I need to go on a hiring Jamie freeze...

September 29, 2008 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home