Friday, September 26, 2008

more strange work conversations

Girl just walks up to the service desk to order some electrical. As it is custom in our computer system to document the person placing the order, I asked her for her first name. (On a side note-- at least 85% of the people who I ask "What's your first name?" either A) give me their first and last names, B) proceed to then spell their last name, C) hold up their name tag IN MY FACE, or D) say "well, it should be under This Other Name, or maybe This Name. Honestly, can't you just answer the question? Just say "Jim"? Bygones.) She answered, "Allison."

She was a nice enough girl, around my age, so while she was filling out her forms I was chatting with her, and my first comment was "Oh, my mom wanted to name me Allison, but, my dad won that particular battle." She replied with, "oh, that's so funny. If I had been born 1 day earlier, I would have been named Jamie." "That's MY name!" I crowed, and then checked my uniform to make sure I wasn't wearing my name tag (I wasn't. Don't yell at me, work folk who read. I detest people I don't know calling me by my first name. It's creepy.) So, that's a little weird, right? I mean, I know Allison and Jamie aren't really odd names or anything, but it's still a bit of a coincidence.

She told me the day before her birthday was her paternal grandfather's birthday, and so they had considered naming her after him should she arrive on that particular day. "James?" I asked? Yes. That was also MY paternal grandfather's name, and one of the reasons my dad liked the name. (The other reason was that he had a thing for the Bionic Woman, but that is really neither her nor there.) Then she goes on to tell me since her mom got the first name, her dad picked her middle name, which is Lee. "That's MY middle name!"

OK, I need to calm down. Being this close to the Queen Mary is affecting my sensibilities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty crazy coincidence but it makes a good story!

Anonymous said...

Agreed...awesome story! ~ Goetz

Nana Erin said...

AHAHAHAHAHA.

I never wear my name tag either BTW. I mean, if we don't know each other, you can call me "ma'am" and if you don't like it, you can introduce yourself and then ask my name.

hello jamie: said...

exactly!!! I always especially hated wearing them at church or school mixers... because it voids the act of someone introducing himself. It's kind of ridiculous to walk up to someone and say "Hi, I'm Jamie, what's your name?" when it's ON YOUR SHIRT, and it seems crass to call someone by his name if you haven't been properly introduced!

ITA-- if you want to know, just ask me.