Friday, July 06, 2007

child's play

This photograph makes me ill:


It's from the MSNBC Week in Pictures and the tag line says: A 4-year old Iraqi cries as older boys stage a mock execution in Baghdad on Monday, July 2. Children's games are heavily influenced by ongoing violence in the country, and one of the more popular activities is staging clashes between militias and police.

I know this post is kind of a downer, but I honestly can't believe we live in a world where children see this so often it becomes part of their make-believe. I often turn a blind eye to the news; it was a jolt to me to remember how lucky I am.

2 comments:

Gina said...

This is why I stopped listening to NPR and have on sports talk radio.

I'm gonna go throw up in my mouth now.

krysten said...

MY son is almost four. It makes me want to cry thinking about my kid having others "play" with him like this. horrible.