Thursday, September 06, 2007

San Francisco... finally, an update

So, Nathaniel bet me $5 that I wouldn't be all unpacked by the end of the year. THE YEAR. OK, so that was a viable bet based on the fact that I had 2 unpacked boxes in the corner of my Dallas apartment for 18 months- but, never one to lose a bet (or a triple-dog dare) I showed him and got completely done this week. D-O-N-E. He came and checked it out for himself but neglected to give me my $5. Bastard.

So, without too much ado, a blog o' photos (click on any to enlarge):

The kitchen:



The living room:




Hello Jon Stewart! Why do you come on at 8pm on the west coast??



View 1 of the bedroom:



View 2:



So, the closet in this room is ridiculous. It's a little wider than that door you see, but it's too shallow to push hangers past the door frame!! Wha? In the huh?? Why would someone do that? So, I had to take my television cabinet and make it into a wardrobe. View 3:




I bought those leaded windows at an antique market about two years ago. My crafty stepdad Tom built me the TV cabinet around them. Wicked cool, eh? Alas, it was too tall to go through the living room door so I got a closet rod cut and some brackets at the hardware store and Nathaniel installed them for me. We painted it, antiqued the edges, covered it in polyurethane, got high off the fumes, and voila! More closet space. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.



All in all, I love this space. It's a little run down, but you can't beat the size and location. The Inner Sunset is the place to be; I haven't been in a neighborhood yet that I like more. I am less than 5 blocks from a post office, a drug store, a Bank of America, a hardware store, a farmer's market, a yoga studio, and restaurants restaurants restaurants: thai, indian, sushi, italian, bagels, coffee, mediterranean, vietnamese, raw, healthy, tacos, burgers- you name it, we have it. There's an awesome bakery co-op down the street that makes everything fresh every morning, and they have a different homemade pizza each day for $2/slice. Today's is artichoke hearts, spinach, lemon, & thyme. Guess what's for lunch?

Two buses stop on my corner (the 6 and the 43) and the train (N-Judah) is three blocks down. Oh, and when I start school? It's a block away. ONE BLOCK. I can sit on my stoop and watch all the scrubs walk by and sigh: One day that will be me! (Also, the school's a hospital so I guess if I ever have an emergency I just need to wander up the hill and into the ER.)

I haven't quite got used to the time difference yet - I've been falling asleep around 10-11pm and waking up at 7am but that's OK- I have to start work on Sunday anyway. I also can't get used to the weather- egads! Mark Twain said the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco, and honestly. Everyone keeps talking about how unseasonably warm it is this year and I'm running around shivering in my scarf and jacket and socks.



I'll be better about posting now that I'm all settled in and the wi-fi works. Off for my pizza!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I covet those built in bookshelves.

krysten said...

it looks GREAT!! i love the "closet"! and you say you aren't crafty...

i can't wait to visit...i'm hungry. oh yeah, and also i miss you. *wink*

Anonymous said...

I love all of it. Wow. What an accomplishment. I still haven't finished unpacking from eight YEARS ago. Ugh.

Bee said...

Arizmendi! My friend loves that place. =D Park Chow on 9th has the BEST brunch. I drive to the city on Sundays just to have their brunch.