Friday, February 17, 2006

New York, New York: It's a wonderful town!

The Bronx is up and the Battery's down!
The people ride in a hole in the ground!

New York, New York: It's a wonderful town!!!

I do a lot of walking around in a lot of cities while listening to my iPod. There's just no place to do it like New York. It's one of my all-time favorite things to do. I can't seem to put into words my love for this city- the charm, the grit, the culture, the ambience, the power, the MAGIC... I love it. There's just something mystical about New York City. Pop on your headphones and get lost in Manhattan: the smells and the sounds and the subway and the Park and the diversity and the arts. It's truly the melting pot that America set out to be. There's no place like it on earth.

I've always said the only Americans more prideful about their place of residence as Texans are New Yorkers. I would also argue that New York City and the Republic of Texas are also the two places that have the most songs written about them. I have playlists for both... and even though my Texas one is longer, I love my "I *heart* NY" playlist more. Every single song is poignant and heartfelt; the entire collection just makes me happy:

1) Theme Song- Sex & the City
2) Sunday in New York- Bobby Darin
3) I Guess the Lord Must be in New York City- Harry Nillson
4) NYC- Cast, Annie
5) New York- Ryan Adams
6) New York State of Mind- Billy Joel
7) The Eyes of a New York Woman- B.J. Thomas
8) New York City- They Might be Giants
9) Manhattan- Ella Fitzgerald
10) Angel in Manhattan- Ellis Paul
11) New York, New York- cast, On the Town
12) The Only Living Boy in New York- Simon & Garfunkel
13) Autumn in New York- Billie Holliday
14) New York, New York- Frank Sinatra

Next weekend I get to share my love of New York with Krysten, who is coming to visit! I could not be more excited -- playing tour guide in NYC is one of my greatest joys. I hope she won't find me too geeky, but I already have a full itinerary of my favorites. I can't wait to experience them with her.

I leave you with lyrics to hands-down, the best scene in the Broadway play Annie, which they tragically cut for the John Huston/Albert Finney/Carol Burnett/Tim Curry/Bernadette Peters otherwise-jewel-of-a-movie version (it was too "dated" and was replaced with "Let's Go to the Movies"). The whole song lauds the excitement, but when the Broadway hopeful comes on at the end, she really captures the hope and the magic of the city, and I get a little catch in my throat every time. Anyone can follow a dream in New York. (PS> you'll find it fitting that I am currently writing this post from the Best Western on 48th between Broadway and 8th... while pirating wi-fi from the Ritz across the street. *weg*)

WARBUCKS:

NYC, what is it about you?
You're big; you're loud; You're tough...
NYC, I go years without you
Then I can't get enough:
Enough of the cab drivers answering back
(In a language far from pure)
Enough of frankfurters answering back
Brother! You know you're...
In NYC - Too busy, too crazy
Too hot! Too cold!
Too late! I'm sold, again, on NYC.

(spoken)
Come on you slowpokes, we gotta get to the Roxy before the prices change!

New Yorkers:

NYC!!!

GRACE:

The shadows at sundown
The roofs that scrape the sky!

New Yorkers:

NYC!!

WARBUCKS/GRACE:

The rich and the rundown
The parade goes by...

WARBUCKS:

No other town has the Empire State and a mayor five-foot-two
No other town in the whole forty eight
Can half compare to you!

New Yorkers:

Oh NYC!!!

WARBUCKS:

You make 'em all postcards

WARBUCKS/GRACE:
You crowd, you cramp
You're still the champ
Amen For NYC!

New Yorkers:

NYC!!
The shimmer of Times Square!
The pulse, the beat, the drive!

The city's bright
As a penny arcade
It blinks, it tilts, it rings

ANNIE:

To think that I've lived here all of my life
And never seen these things!!

New Yorkers:

Oh, NYC!!
The whole world keeps coming
By bus, by train
You can't explain their yen
For ...

STAR-TO-BE:

NYC!!
Just got here this morning
Three bucks, two bags, one me!
NYC,
I give you fair warning:
Up there, in lights I'll be
Go ask the Gershwins, or Kaufman and Hart
The place they love the best
Though California pays big for their art
Their fan mail comes addressed to NYC
Tomorrow a penthouse
That's way up high
Tonight ... The "Y"
Why not?
It's NYC!!

ALL:
NYC!!
You're standing room only!
You crowd, you cramp,
You're still the champ
Amen For NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

krysten said...

you'll never be too geeky for me, dear!

i am so excited, i cannot wait!

maybe you can change my mind about the city of my birth. *wink*

Gina said...

OMG! Krysten is coming to NYC and if I come I could meet her?

Crikey I have to go now.

hello jamie: said...

G, were you thinking of not?? I'm soooo looking forward to seeing you!! *sobs*

As a second thought, why is Phaino suddenly not enough for you, mmmm?